Most people don’t have the resources to pursue compensation from a large company that’s caused an injury, but mass torts help victims overcome these challenges and can even aid industry change.
If you’ve been hurt by a pharmaceutical drug, toxic chemical, consumer product, or mass disaster, a Louisiana mass tort lawyer can help you get the compensation you need to recover.
At Cox, Cox, Filo, Camel & Wilson, we’ve helped countless victims obtain relief while holding negligent businesses responsible for the harm they’ve caused.If you’ve been injured, call our Lake Charles office at 337-800-8888, or contact us online for a FREE consultation.
What Is a Mass Tort?
Mass torts help expedite court cases involving large groups of people who have suffered injury from a similar or shared source (e.g., a liable group, company, or manufacturer).
Unlike other civil actions, mass torts pool resources, which can save victims valuable time and money.
For example, the same expert testimony or scientific research can be used as evidence in multiple cases, but the cost of obtaining these resources is spread among several parties.
Because people interact with products differently or respond differently to drugs, each claim is represented on a case-by-case basis. Subsequently, compensation is awarded on individual merit as well.
Mass torts are also used to implement corporate change or discipline.
Finally, there are several types of mass tort litigation:
- Pharmaceutical mass tort – when medical devices or pharmaceutical drugs are dangerous, lives can be destroyed.
- Mass toxic tort – toxic torts occur when people are exposed to dangerous chemicals on the job, at home, or in the environment.
- Product liability tort – these cases involve a variety of consumer products; product recalls often spark product liability cases.
- Mass disaster tort – catastrophes present a unique demand on our tort system. While less common, disaster torts can affect hundreds or thousands of people at the same time, often stirring a media frenzy. Examples might include a commercial airline crash or mass contamination (i.e., oil spill, hazardous waste, etc.).
Get the Legal Representation You Deserve
At Cox, Cox, Filo, Camel & Wilson, we represent injured victims on a contingent-fee basis, which means we don’t get paid until your case gets settled.
Even if you don’t think you can afford an attorney, give us a call to discuss your legal options.
Here’s a look at some of the successful cases we’ve represented for our clients:
- $26 million – Jury verdict for a train accident, and the highest reported award to an injured person in Louisiana history.
- $6.5 million – Thirty investors lost money on annuity contracts because a stockbroker misrepresented the investment. After our firm arbitrated three of the claims, the defendants agreed to pay more than $6 million in compensation.
- $8.5 million – A spill at a nearby oil refinery exposed 350 families to sulfur dioxide. Awards averaged $5,000 to $10,000 per family.
- $23 million – During cleanup for a chemical spill, 57 workers were exposed at the same dock facility. We recovered $23 million for our clients.
If you’ve been seriously injured by a drug, medical device, or consumer product, your case may benefit from this unique procedural action.
Generally speaking, mass tort compensation can include money for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and/or loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering